COMMUNICATION TO SUPPORT GOVERNANCE IN THE LAND TRANSPORT SECTOR
DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE COMMUNICATION TO SUPPORT GOVERNANCE IN THE LAND TRANSPORT SECTOR
Period of implementation: September 2020-November 2022
Country – Senegal
Beneficiary – Directorate of Roads of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Land Transport and Opening-up
The general objective of the project of which this contract is a part is the development and implementation of a communication strategy aimed at changing the behaviour of road users, including private and professional drivers, in the face of road insecurity, the reduction or even eradication of axle overloading, the reduction of air pollution due to land transport, and the consideration of gender and employment aspects in the land transport sector.
The specific objectives of this service contract are:
- Improving behavioral changes (targeting urban and peri-urban areas and international corridors) of road users and their knowledge of traffic regulations. Special attention must be given to the illiterate population;
- Contributing to a greater awareness of the damage caused to the road by axle loads, including economic impacts and road user safety;
- Awareness of the dangers of air pollution and knowledge of preventive actions;
- Contributing to the fight against gender discrimination against girls, women, disabled people, etc. in the transport sector and generally improving their perception by the population;
Better visibility of EU support to Senegal in the area of transport governance.
Development and implementation of the communication strategy in the field of transport
- Production and implementation of a detailed communication plan based on a communication strategy developed on the governance of transport in Senegal
- Implementation of an “inclusive” proximity campaign in order to make road users aware of their responsibilities, in the form of games, quizzes, etc.; Implementation of two “mass media” campaigns on each theme (road safety, overloading, air pollution and gender), through the production and broadcasting of TV spots, radio spots, posters, advertising campaigns, web, goodies, etc.; Conducting of a survey at the end of each campaign in order to measure and evaluate the effects on the target populations;
- Broadcasting of TV spots several times a day on several channels in Senegal and broadcasting of spots on the main national and local radios; Design of short TV and radio spots on air pollution and insertion of spots in existing programs;
- Deployment of caravans in Dakar and in urban areas, particularly in the context of road safety and intended for road professionals (bus drivers, cabs, goods transport);
- Support to the visibility of EU interventions in the transport sector, notably through the creation of a charter and a logo; Production of complementary deliverables (YouTube channel, Vimeo, website, Facebook page) and intermediaries (posters, flyers, conferences and press kits, etc.).